Mads Östberg (pictured) won the Rally Elverum, the second round of the Norwegian Rally Championship, in his Ford Fiesta RCC, and together with Swedish co-driver Jonas Andersson was Østberg in a league of its own and won the race by a margin of over two and a half minute.
Rally Elverum was conducted on challenging roads in perfect winter conditions.
– It was very loose snow on the road the first time and when we run them the second time it was the deep grooves, so it has not been easy, said Mads after the finish and added:
– We had with us important experience for the winter peak, the Rally Sweden in Sweden and Norway in two weeks.
Östberg, who went up in total lead of the Norwegian championship, was quite superior. Runner-up Marius Aasen was over two and a half minutes behind in his Ford Fiesta S2000. Third place was another of the many drivers who will drive Rally Sweden February 9-12, Eyvind Brynildsen.
For Marius the second place was important, given that he broke the NM-premiere.
– Yes, it was important for me to finish today. This was my second race with the new car and I have still some learning to do, but it went better and better today, said Marius that decided the battle for second place on the last stretch.
Eyvind Brynildsen had perhaps hoped for more, but had to settle for third place this time.
– We had a puncture on SS6 and Marius went past us. I did not try too hard either, because I wanted to get as much time in the car as possible, said Brynildsen, which next Saturday, in Rally Finnskog, will debut in the Fiesta WRC he will run in Rally Sweden.
The Rally Elverum Brynildsen drove a Group N Mitsubishi.
Results Rally Elverum
1) Mads Østberg/Jonas Andersson, Ford Fiesta RRC, 1.12.3,8
2) Marius Aasen/Veronica Engan, Ford Fiesta S2000, + 2.38,0 min
3) Eyvind Brynildsen/Cato Menkerud, Mitsubishi Lancer, + 2.52,2
4) Sveinung Bieltvedt/Roger Eilertsen, Subaru Impreza Sti, + 3.25,9
5) Anders Grøndal/Trond Svendsen, Subaru Impreza Sti, + 4.02,7
6) Peder Økseter/Stig Rune Skjærmoen, Subaru Impreza, + 4.26,4
7) Bernt Kollevold/Ove Johnny Andersen, Mitsubishi Lancer, + 5.17,9
8) Trond Sveinsvoll/Otto Øvestad, Subaru Impreza Sti, + 6.32,6
9) Frank Tore Larsen/Torstein Eriksen, Ford Fiesta R2, + 9.15,7
10) Petter Rolfsen/Anders Kjær, Ford Fiesta R2, +11.04,7